The Production Room was founded in 1995 as one of the first full time digital commercial recording facilties on the central coast of California. We started with 4 stereo tracks, 16 mb of ram and a 250 mb hard drive. A lot has happened since then. Today we're focusing on ways to serve clients who are creating web based media content. This includes strategic planning to integrate the benefits of traditional media, web design and IT solutions into new programs produced especially for on-line consumers. Join in the conversation. Throw rocks at glass houses. Share your vision of the future. This is the most progressive time in the media arts since Johannes Gutenburg invented movable type!

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Clinton, RFK and "The Smoking Gun"

I was just thinking about August 5th, 1974.

It was on that day that the Nixon White House complied with a US Supreme Court ruling and released transcripts of conversation between Nixon and Haldeman 6 days after the Watergate Burglary in which Nixon orders the FBI to end it's investigation.

The tape became known as, "The Smoking Gun".

Eleven Republican members of the Judiciary Committee had voted against articles of impeachment. After "The Smoking Gun", they ended their support of President Nixon.
It was the moment that forced Nixon to resign.

I'm watching the reaction to Senator Clinton's assassination comment to see if it isn't another smoking gun. We have about two more weeks of primary voting. It is at that point the Super Delegates will likely weigh in.

Many Super Delegates have promised support for Senator Clinton. Others have yet to declare. I wonder if this moment will effectively decide the Super Delegate and force Hillary Clinton to resign.

5 comments:

Raymond McInnis said...

John, hillary's mention of the assassination of rfk is a smoking gun in the sense that it seals obama's conviction that she won't be a running mate.

i do not think that i have ever witnessed one small comment that had such immediate impact.

now watch the super delegates

ray

Vinny said...

What kind of a mind comes up with that kind of a historical reference anyway? If she was making some point about celebrity campaign contributions, would she point out the fact that Abraham Lincoln had been assassinated by an actor? If she was making some point about the state of Tennessee, would she point out that Martin Luther King had been assassinated in Memphis? The fact that the assassination remark can be tangentially tied to an arguably legitimate point does not make it any less ghoulish or inappropriate.

John Quimby said...

..and Obama gives her a pass.

To use a ghoulish metaphor - this could be the stake through the heart of her campaign.

Once her Presidential aspirations are good and dead, other possibilities exist for her.

Those possibilities will vanish if she appears to claim that we are not worthy of her and demands the destruction of the party.

Anonymous said...

Hillary: Why I Continue To Run

This past Friday, during a meeting with a newspaper editorial board, I was asked about whether I was going to continue in the presidential race.

I made clear that I was - and that I thought the urgency to end the 2008 primary process was unprecedented. I pointed out, as I have before, that both my husband’s primary campaign, and Sen. Robert Kennedy’s, had continued into June.

Almost immediately, some took my comments entirely out of context and interpreted them to mean something completely different - and completely unthinkable.

I want to set the record straight: I was making the simple point that given our history, the length of this year’s primary contest is nothing unusual. Both the executive editor of the newspaper where I made the remarks, and Sen. Kennedy’s son, Bobby Kennedy Jr., put out statements confirming that this was the clear meaning of my remarks. Bobby stated, “I understand how highly charged the atmosphere is, but I think it is a mistake for people to take offense.”

I realize that any reference to that traumatic moment for our nation can be deeply painful - particularly for members of the Kennedy family, who have been in my heart and prayers over this past week. And I expressed regret right away for any pain I caused.

But I was deeply dismayed and disturbed that my comment would be construed in a way that flies in the face of everything I stand for - and everything I am fighting for in this election.

http://noquarterusa.net/blog/2008/05/25/why-we-continue-hillary-and-me/#more-2698

John Quimby said...

Anon.

Thanks for adding Senator Clinton's remarks to the conversation.

Ray, It's still too early to decide the running mate issue.

In my mind the question isn't whether or not she would add to the strength of the ticket (I think she would). It's more or less a matter of timing.

She can't run for VP while she is actively running for the Presidency. All the more reason to concentrate on delivering a very
strong finish.

As she waits for Obama to collapse, she has demonstrated how vulnerable she is to her own misfortune.